Mike, Beth, Ella & Lucy

Friday, 9 November 2012

TMI?

I am a very matter of fact person. In fact, I would call myself frank. I believe in being frank. To me, being frank isn't synonymous with rude, harsh, brutally honest or hurtful. But I try not to beat around the bush and just say it like it is. This ideal carries in all aspects of my life, including parenting. I sometimes wonder if I'm giving them a little TMI (too much information)? This doesn't mean that I give 100% facts on anything that comes up (ie: I feel they're too young to know the exact details of intimate relationships). I do try and keep things somewhat age appropriate, but at the same time, keep them informed. We've discussed divorce, body parts, death, homosexuality, single parents, people with disabilities, people who are different colours, etc. It comes up! What are you supposed to do? I don't want them to be the girl with no fore-knowledge of menstruation who thinks she's dying when her first period arrives.
At times, this can lead to some funny little incidents.
- After giving birth to Lucy, for a week or two I was using these super jumbo jumbo maxi pads (not the norm!). As Ella was 2 at the time, the bathroom door wasn't really ever closed. She started putting pads into her panties/pull-ups and insisting she also had "blood" and was in pain too.
- Lucy shouting at Ella to "get out my room! right now!" Ella calmly explaining that it's not her room since dad and mom pay the mortgage and have technical ownership.

- Me explaining going to the hospital lab for blood tests and having to pee in a cup. Lucy telling everyone "my mom peed in Nana's cup" (my grandma who is currently hospitalised. Apparently she has the only cup in the hospital, thus that must be where I peed?)
- Lucy wistfully wishing dad could be come in the day with us. Ella explaining that if dad didn't go to work we wouldn't have a house, mom's car, or food to eat.





No comments:

Post a Comment